Amir is co-founder of the Pearl Initiative, and a founding Commissioner of the Broadband Commission for Sustainable Development. Amir co-founded the Blockchain Commission for Sustainable Development and serves as Executive Vice Chair. He is also co-founder of the Coalition for Better Health at Lower Cost that focuses on prevention of chronic diseases. Amir serves as a Distinguished Fellow for the Future of Health and Healthcare at the World Economic Forum.
Pioneering Partnerships and Global Outreach
Amir works globally across the economic and social spectrum. He is an accomplished diplomat, with a deep understanding of international affairs and extensive experience in global development and humanitarian issues, including managing complex technical assistance projects in emerging markets. By nature, a social entrepreneur and innovator, his work is an endeavor to bond the power of the private sector, governments, and civil society, in order to better serve the greater good. These include initiatives on women’s empowerment, engaging media in sustainable development, and innovative use of technology for positive social change. Amir is also a champion for the UN’s Safe Ground Campaign.
United Nations Service
Amir is a 25-year veteran of the United Nations and served as Executive Director of the UN Office for Partnerships until September 2010, which he established in 1998 to manage the $1 billion gift by media mogul Ted Turner. During his tenure at the UN, Amir founded several new initiatives:
- Department of Peacekeeping Operations: field finance and management
- Management Policy Office: oversee reform within the United Nations
- UN Fund for International Partnerships: interface with the UN Foundation
- UN Democracy Fund: strengthen institutions and governance in new or restored democracies
- UN Office for Partnerships: engage public and private sectors to support the UN’s mission
- Peacebuilding Support Office: help bridge development gaps in post-conflict countries.
- Business Advisory Council for the Greater Tumen Region: regional cooperation among nations
Awards and Recognition
- 2010 Humanitarian Award from the UN Association of New York, for his accomplishments in Partnerships to End Poverty and World Hunger
- 2010 Ambassador for Peace and Sport, Monaco
- 2015 Amir and his son, Zecki received Humanitarian Innovation Award for intergenerational partnerships
- 2016 Outstanding Achievement Award, bestowed by the ICAEW for his work in uniting public and private organizations to address the world’s economic and social challenges
- 2017 Ellis Island International Medal of Honor for contributions to the global community.
Amir is a UK Chartered Accountant (FCA) and has lived and worked in five continents. He is on the board of several non-profits and regularly undertakes speaking engagements and frequently serves as moderator for high-level panels, engaging Heads of State and Ministers. Amir is married to Tas, who is Senior Advisor of the Global Partnerships Forum. They have one son, Zecki, who is a Senior Director at Henry Schein.